Thursday 13 June 2019

The Racing Snapper!


(Photo: Barry Cregg)

Everyone has their hobbies and most dream to turn them into reality but for the majority it stays that way for various reasons. On occasion though some make it a reality and one such person who has done it is Greystones man Cormac Ryan- Meenan.

Cormac has the pleasure of photographing the wonderful, crazy, exciting, thrilling world that is Moto GP. So if photography was his hobby and has become his job what is his hobby now?

Well it just seems like Cormac cannot get away from motorbikes as when he is not photographing them he is racing them. I managed to catch up with him at a recent race meeting in Athboy Kart Centre, where he was competing in the Irish Mini Bike Championship to ask how it all came about.

“I started off by accident really as I had just finished school and started using dad’s camera, taking pictures of little dinky cars. I wasn’t really into it like some people are I was just messing around photographing different things during the year after I finished school.”


(Photo: Barry Cregg)


One thing that has always interested him since he was barely out of nappies, is the motorbike. Of any kind also not just one form, so when he was four years of age he managed to get himself a run on a motocross bike. The noise, smell or speed didn’t scare the youngster and as he grew up he competed on and off in motocross and enduro events around the country.

“ I love bikes I have been on them since I was four from motocross to enduro and now pitbikes!”

After a year off from finishing school it was time to find out what he wanted to do and by this time photography was looking more interesting as a career. While on a trip to Spain and to a Moto GP test day his mind was made up.

“It took me a while to really get into and like photography as I hadn’t planned on doing it as a job. I went to a Moto GP test at the Jerez circuit in Spain and made contacts with HRC (Honda Racing Corporation) who liked my stuff and it took off from there.”

(Photo: Barry Cregg)

Is it as glamorous as people might think, the life of a Moto GP photographer?

“ It can be great and is for the most part but there is time where it definitely isn’t but I guess every job is like that. There is a lot of travelling involved and you have to plan your year early in terms of flights, accommodation, etc. For instance I book my flights for the european period of the season in January. You do get to see some great places and meet great people and you get close to everything, but after a while the novelty of getting close to the likes of Rossi, Lorenzo for example wears off and the riders are just people you are there to photograph. That’s what I am there to do like them being there to ride the bikes.”

Cormac has also become an ambassador for Sony after all his camera equipment was sadly stolen on him. Technology has moved on so much with cameras getting better all the time and with the new mirrorless cameras coming on the scene more and more, I wondered does it make his life easier?

“ I had used Cannon up to when it was all stolen on me and I was left a bit stuck and wasn’t sure what way to go as its all big money to buy what you need. Also if I bought the same again an I was to go to the new mirrorless cameras further down the road I would loose a load of money. I had put up on twitter that my gear was nicked and through that I got in touch with Sony and they kindly supplied me with equipment.”

(Photo: Barry Cregg)

Cormac has setup his own website cormacgp.photoshelter.com as has built up a nice portfolio of clients with Oakley , AGV and Dainese using him as their ambassador.

From where we stood talking about racing, photography and everything else it dawned on me it must be world’s apart from the slick, colourful, organised Moto GP paddocks around the world.

But if your into racing you will go anywhere really, It is good to see someone from our shores making waves in the world of Moto GP. He is handy on a bike too and like all racers he reckons not all the bikes are as evenly matched as they are ment to be!

Photographs: Barry Cregg


No comments:

Post a Comment